December is upon us and the temperature has started to plummet therefore this can be quite a difficult time for elderly people within communities to stay safe and warm over the winter frost.
Home Instead Senior Care Sheffield have provided some top tips to keep you or a loved one warm and well this winter, as well as save them a bit of money.
Ideally, in the room where you sit and spend most of the day, the room temperature should be kept at 21ºC and your bedroom should be a little cooler at 18ºC.
Here are our top tips:
- Check the weather – ensure you know what the weather forecast for each day of winter so you can efficiently prepare
- Hot Drinks – having plenty of hot drinks will maintain your body temperature and keep you warm, as a cost saver, only boil the amount of water you need or fill a flask to save electric costs
- Hot Meals – Ensure your house is stocked up with tinned, dried and frozen foods so you are suitably prepared to keep your energy levels up and maintain warmth
- Wrap up warm! – more layers is better than one thick layer, it also gives you the chance to wear your favourite Christmas jumpers! Blankets are also useful for keeping warm!
- Curtains – Ensure curtains are closed at dusk and tuck them behind radiators if possible, this will keep the cold out and the heat in
- Stay active – try to keep moving, sitting for more than an hour will cause your body temperature to fall
- Doors! – Closing doors between unheated areas will prevent cold areas spreading around the house
- Prescriptions -Speak to your local pharmacy to see if they offer a pick-up service to avoid you having to make unnecessary trips out in the cold
- Organise your annual heating service to ensure your heating is working efficiently
- Most importantly, check up on your friends, relatives and neighbours who may be vulnerable to cold weather and offer any support they may need
If you would like more information about how Home Instead can support you or a loved one over the winter period, contact us on 0114 250 7709 or visit us at 6 Shirley House, Psalter Lane, Sheffield, S11 8YL.