If you are feel like you are suffering from memory problems and it is a bit of a worry to you, it is important to get yourself checked out to find out if there is any treatment or support available. However, there are some simple steps you can take to make life easier should you be experiencing any problems with your memory.
With the help of the Alzheimer’s Society, Home Instead has put together some tips that could prove useful.
- Keep a ‘to do list’ for your everyday activities, this will help jog your memory
- Break up tasks in to small parts to make them more manageable
- Take one thing at a time – too many things at once could become confusing
- Take your time – there is no rush!
- Clocks, watches and calendars are useful ways of keeping track of date and time
- Diaries are also a good way of noting down important appointments which you can refer to
- Keep valuables such as money, keys, glasses etc. in the same place, so you know exactly where they will be
- Arrange for bills to be paid by direct debit to ensure they are not forgotten.
- These aids can take some getting used to, so take your time and persevere.
Dealing with other people
- Do not get embarrassed if you forget something or can’t find the right word, sometimes it just pops back into your head without trying.
- Do not be afraid to ask for help, family and friends will be more than happy to give you the support you need.
Home Instead host Family Dementia workshops throughout the year, if you would like to learn more about Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, do not hesitate to email [email protected]
Alternatively, if you would like more information about the services and support we can provide, please call us on 0114 250 7709.
6 Shirley House, 31 Psalter Lane, Sheffield, S11 8YL.