People become carers for many reasons, anyone that cares for somebody is likely to have many unanswered questions regarding the care they are giving to their loved one and the care they owe themselves.
Below are some tips to help you become the best carer you can be. There are many reasons why people are choosing to become a carer but remember it is very important that you have someone to turn to when the going gets tough.
1) Help them feel good. Everyone loves to be treated from time to time and who better deserves it than your loved one. A new haircut or item of clothing can do wonders for your loved one’s confidence and self-worth.
2) Be Patient. It is a massive step in an elderly person’s life when they decide they want to take on care for themselves in their own home. To start with, it often takes a long while to get into a consistent care routine. Keeping calm and patient will allow this to happen whilst also respecting your loved one’s dignity and independence.
3) Accept that they have changed. The person you care for is unlikely to be the person you know them to be. Accepting this change will help you to stay in the here and now and give the best care possible.
4) Take a guilt free break. Everyone has to allow themself some alone time to unwind and relax, allowing yourself this time will help you recognise and provide a much better quality of care.
5) Accept help. In order to properly take care of someone else, you need to also be able to take care of yourself. When people offer to help you, it’s okay to accept it.