Frequently Asked Questions about Elderly Care

FAQ - Elderly & Senior Care

In this article, our team at Home Instead Bromley answers some of the most common questions regarding elderly care and the different types of services we offer at Home Instead. We hope this article will answer some of your most frequently asked questions. 

If you don’t find an answer to a question you were looking for, take a look at our Care Advice and Support page, or fill out our form, and one of the members of our friendly team will get back to you. 

What is senior care? 

Senior care is an umbrella term for many different types of social care services that involve caring for the elderly. This can include home care, care homes, assisted living facilities, amongst many other options. Elderly care at its most fundamental entails an elderly person receiving care, in any shape or form. 

What is personal care for the elderly?

Personal care consists of assisting your loved one with any tasks that are of personal nature. This can include maintaining personal hygiene (e.g. showering, dressing, bathing, brushing teeth…), helping with mobility around the home, as well as continence management. 

As we get older, we might be less capable of caring for ourselves. The tasks that used to be automatic might take longer, or get completely forgotten about. Our trained CAREGivers will be able to help your loved ones continue living the high standard of life they are used to. 

To find out more about the personal care services we offer at Home Instead Bromley, click here.

What is domiciliary care for the elderly? 

Domiciliary care is an umbrella term for day-to-day, home care services, in which a professional CAREGiver assists you with daily tasks and challenges. This can mean accompanying you to do grocery shopping, as well as providing services such as personal care or light household tasks.

In home elderly care benefits:

  • Receiving high-quality care in the comfort of your own home
  • No set visit hours - your home, your rules! 
  • Independent living 
  • Bespoke, individualised care plan
  • Keeping your beloved pet companion
  • Round-the-clock care, made according to your needs
  • Companionship from our bespoke CAREGivers

What can you do when an elderly parent refuses needed care? 

We understand that starting a conversation with your loved one about receiving care can be a touchy subject. People often associate elderly care with a loss of independence and autonomy. When people think of senior care, they picture care homes, and those often don’t have the best reputation due to their history and portrayal in popular culture. 

Elderly care, however, doesn’t have to mean leaving everything behind to move into a shared facility to live with strangers. With Home Instead Bromley, you can leave independently, in your own home, while receiving high-quality, bespoke care. 

Try having an honest, calm conversation with your loved one, discussing available care options, as well as acknowledging their worries and concerns. Admitting we need help can be one of the most difficult things to do, so it’s important to be empathetic. 

What is an elderly care needs assessment? 

Elderly care needs assessment evaluates the required level of care. This means determining if the person is in need of help, whether that is non-medical care, help with household tasks or specialised care. 

You can contact your local council for a senior care assessment where they will assess your loved ones’ need for care against their eligibility criteria. One thing to consider is that if your loved one doesn’t need medical or personal care, the council will determine that no care is needed. 

This means that an ageing parent, who is lonely, will be deemed as not requiring care. 

At Home Instead we believe that it is not solely the physical care needs that should be taken into consideration. This is why we highlight the importance of companionship for the elderly.

Who to contact when worried about an elderly person? 

If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm, please contact the emergency services at 999. If it’s not an emergency, but you’re still very concerned about the wellbeing of your elderly loved one, please call 111. They will be able to answer any questions you may have. 

For anything else, you can get in touch with your local council, or fill out our form. We will get back to you to arrange a care assessment and discuss your care needs with you.

Before requesting care for your elderly loved one, make sure to speak to them about it. 

How to get a carer for an elderly person? 

If you think you or your elderly loved ones are in need of care, please get in touch with us by filling out this form. Our friendly team at Home Instead Bromley, Chislehurst and Orpington, will arrange a care assessment to discuss your needs and concerns, and answer any questions you may have. 

All our CAREGivers have their own vehicles and can travel anywhere in Bromley, Chislehurst, Orpington, West Wickham, and surrounding areas.
Client having tea with CAREGiver