It can be hard at the best of times to choose a thoughtful and useful gift for a loved one. This can be especially difficult when picking out a gift for someone you care about who is living with dementia.
The team at Home Instead Bromley, Chislehurst & Orpington work closely with clients living with dementia and their loved ones, providing a range of home care services to ensure that individuals can stay in their own homes for as long as possible, surrounded by familiar items and their home comforts. We have compiled this useful list of gift ideas for any occasion for your loved one living with dementia.
As with choosing a present for anyone, it is important to think about the individual and their specific needs and preferences. People with dementia may have varying degrees of cognitive impairment, so selecting gifts that are simple, familiar, and engaging can be beneficial. Here are some thoughtful gift ideas:
- Memory books and photo albums- Why not create a special photo album, filled with happy past memories of friends and family, and special events from your loved one’s life. Photos are a great way to connect to positive memories and start conversations. These days, there are some great websites that will do most of the work for you!
- Music- Music can be uplifting and trigger positive memories. Why not compile a playlist of your loved ones’ favourite songs and enjoy listening to them together?
- Audiobooks and Podcasts: Select books or podcasts on topics your loved one has shown interest in. Listening to stories or discussions can be enjoyable and mentally stimulating, particularly if your loved one struggles with their vision or concentration when reading.
- Reminiscence activities: Look for activities that encourage reminiscing, such as jigsaw puzzles featuring vintage images or books with historical photos.
- Personalised memory games: Create memory games with familiar images or names to help stimulate cognitive function.
- Fidget toys or activity boards: Fidget toys can provide stimulation and comfort
- Hand massages or sensory grooming items: Items like scented hand creams and body lotions, massagers, or soft brushes can be relaxing and comforting.
- Dementia-friendly technology: Devices that provide gentle reminders for appointments or daily tasks can be helpful in everyday life and can help to maintain independence, keep safe, and stay active and involved. For example, digital photo frames with built-in calendars and reminders.
- Treat them to a day out: If there is a special location or historical site that means something special to your loved one, a visit may help invoke some happy memories.
Always remember that gifts should come from the heart, and anything given with love will be special!
Home Instead Bromley, Chislehurst & Orpington is an award-winning home care provider based in Coney Hall Village. We provide home care packages including companionship, personal care, and home help to older people in the community. If you’d like some help or support for yourself or a loved one, we’re here to answer all your home care needs.