Did you know that every 3 seconds somebody in the world develops dementia? ‘Every 3 seconds’ is the theme of World Alzheimer’s Month this September and right across the globe, organisations will be raising awareness of the condition and what we can do to support those living with it.
Here are some of the main warning signs to look out for.
- Memory loss that disrupts daily life.
- Challenges in planning or solving problems.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work, or at leisure.
- Confusion with time or place: Losing track of dates, seasons, and the passage of time.
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships.
- New problems with words in speaking or writing: You may notice a person has trouble following or joining a conversation.
- Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps: Placing things in random unusual places. Sometimes the person may accuse others of stealing the items.
- Decreased or poor judgment.
- Changes in mood or personality.
If you or someone you love is experiencing any of these warning signs or if you have concerns about dementia, you should visit with your GP, who can help guide you in the right direction.
Live Life Well
5 ways to help reduce your risk of dementia:
- Look after your heart
- Be physically active
- Follow a healthy diet
- Challenge your brain
- Enjoy social activities
At Home Instead, we can help, we look after hundreds of people with dementia in the comfort of their own home – many in their 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond. Detecting dementia early means we can provide the support to help people live happy, fulfilled lives at home for longer.
For more information on how we can help people living in Epping Forest contact me [email protected] or telephone me 01992 666777
I look forward to hearing from you,