Personal care at home refers to the provision of daily living assistance to individuals who need help with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, grooming, and meal preparation, in the comfort of their own homes. There are several reasons why someone might choose personal care at home instead of institutional care, such as nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Some of these reasons include:
- Comfort and familiarity: Home is where we feel most comfortable and secure. It is the place where we have our own possessions, our own routines, and our own sense of independence. For many individuals, the idea of leaving their home and moving into an institutional setting can be daunting and stressful. By receiving personal care at home, they can maintain their sense of comfort and familiarity.
- Customised care: Personal care at home is tailored to the individual’s specific needs and preferences. This means that the care provided is personalised and can be adapted as the individual’s needs change over time. In contrast, institutional care may have more rigid schedules and routines that may not be as flexible.
- One-on-one attention: In an institutional setting, there may be a high ratio of patients to staff members, which can result in less individual attention for each patient. In contrast, personal care at home provides one-on-one attention from a caregiver who can focus entirely on the individual’s needs.
- Cost-effective: Personal care at home can be more cost-effective than institutional care, especially for individuals who do not require 24-hour medical supervision. It can also be more affordable for families who are on a budget.
- Independence and autonomy: Personal care at home can help individuals maintain their sense of independence and autonomy. They can continue to make their own decisions about their daily lives, such as what to eat, when to sleep, and what activities to participate in.
Overall, personal care at home can provide many benefits to individuals who need assistance with daily living activities. It can help them maintain their sense of comfort, independence, and dignity, while receiving customised care in the familiar surroundings of their own home. Discover more or find out how we can assist you with personal care at home today.