How to get the support you need

Liz Brackley, Director of Brighton, Hove and Shoreham Home Instead covers the options available, should you or an older loved one need more support to remain independent at home. As people age, so their needs change and Liz talks you through how to get the support you need at the right time.

Family and friends 

As things become more difficult, you could ask family and friends to help you around the home or with shopping and errands. This can be beneficial as you are receiving support from people who are familiar to you and ease you into the idea of asking others for help, as it can be difficult to admit that you are finding it harder to manage. Bear in mind that you should only receive support from those that are allowed in your home during coronavirus restrictions.Volunteers  

Volunteers are available to help you right up to your doorstep. Look to community response hubs, NHS volunteers and aid groups for this type of help. They may be able to help with food deliveries or transport to medical appointments.

Adult Social Care services

For these services, you need to contact your local social care department. This form of support centres around having carers to visit at home or moving into a care home. 

Applying for this type of care will be means-tested. If you are eligible, the council will either give you direct funding or arrange support from a social care provider.

For Brighton and Hove, visit this website for more information.

For Shoreham and West Sussex, visit this website for more information.

At this time, you may also want to consider Attendance Allowance. This helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you. It’s paid at two different levels and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

CQC-registered care company

Care companies, such as Home Instead are regulated and CQC-inspected, and only provide extensively-trained CAREGivers to work with their Clients. Home Instead CAREGivers will be able to help you with the type of support the council cannot assist with. Care may include shopping, household tasks, companionship, dementia care and transportation. You can choose to pay for this type of care from your own funds or using the money you receive from your council.

Company or private arrangement

A private helper could support you at home with the tasks that you are no longer able to manage. The type of care you receive may be similar to the services you could take from a CQC-registered care company, but the arrangement is set up privately between yourself and your CAREGiver/assistant. Again, you choose to pay from your own funds or use any council budget you receive for your care. 

For more information about the services Home Instead offers in your area, call Liz on 01273 284090 or Email: [email protected].

You can also visit our website to find out more.