Information & Resources
Every month at Home Instead we offer a number of not-for-profit social activities designed to help people live well with memory issues in the local community.
- The Supper Club in Ham
- Memory Cafés in Kingston
- Cream Tea Parties at The Wharf Restaurant, by the river in Teddington
- Coming soon, singing activities for people with dementia in Whitton.
Each are designed to be accessible and supportive environments for people worried about memory issues as well as those with early to mid stages of dementia, and their carers, to meet others in a similar situation.
They are designed to provide stimulation, support and information. The activities we host are based on evidence and research into the experience of living with dementia.
- Meeting social needs of people with dementia through social interaction is proven to help a person to live well with the experience of dementia and can help to reduce the emergence of behavioural symptoms such as restlessness and agitation.
- Cognitive stimulation is proven to be both effective and enjoyable aiming to include everyone regardless of abilities. Cognitive stimulation focuses on opinions rather than facts, uses reminisence as well as using the senses- building and strengthening relationships.
- Music and singing can improve well being and confidence for people with dementia and their carers, encouraging the expression of positive emotions as well as enhancing communication skills.
Each event has a slightly different format to offer variety and choice as well as reaching out to a wider population.
Home Instead Memory Café at the Quaker Centre
We host cultural activities on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month from 2-4pm. No booking is required, but we do ask for a £5 contribution, per attendee, towards the activities.
Home Instead Supper Club at The Woodville Centre in Ham
We are very lucky to host the very well established Supper Club, initially developed by the Alzheimer's Society. We understand going for dinner with someone with dementia may not be as straightforward as it once was, so we host a pop up restaurant in the The Woodville Centre. This monthly gathering for 25 to 30 people is held on the second Thursday of every month from 6-8pm for anyone who would like to have some stimulating company, good food and good conversation. We do ask for a booking and we charge £8.50 per person to cover costs.
Afternoon Cream Teas at The Wharf Restaurant, Teddington
Come and enjoy a delightful cream tea by the river in Teddington. Our Spring Tea Party is on Tuesday 20th March, Summer Tea Party 21st June and Autumn Tea Party on the 25th September. Each tea party starts at 2.30-4.30pm Booking is required and the cost for these teas is £12.50 per person. Older people, their carers, friends and family are always welcome.
Singing activities for people with dementia
A tried and tested activity for people with dementia and their carers that uses singing to bring people together. Home Instead are in the process of organising this much needed activity in the Whitton area. More details will follow..
For more information, or to book a space, please call Joanna Carter on 0208 942 4137 or call the Richmond office team on 0203 879 7887 to find out more details.
"Just got off the phone with granddad and he said your CAREGiver was very good. Thank you so much!"Betty's granddaughter