Senior Snippets: Stay Nourished
Top Tips to Eat Well and Age Well
Food and nutrition play an important role in staying well. But many people lose their interest in food as they get older and, according to Home Instead Senior Care research, one in five over 75s struggle to cook their own food.
As part of our new campaign called ‘Stay Nourished,’ our aim is to raise awareness of the importance of maintaining healthy eating habits.
Home Instead Senior Care Reading is here to share its knowledge and help recognise the signs of malnutrition so that families or those providing care and support can take action.
Here are some top tips for encouraging your loved one to enjoy mealtimes:
- Keep mealtimes interesting.Aromas can help to stimulate the appetite. Encourage your loved one to get involved in the selection, preparation and serving of meals wherever possible.
Top Tip:Help your loved one to make a shopping list and decide on a healthy meal plan for the week.
- Make the dining area comfortable, remove distractions and create a nice atmosphere.
- Think about portion sizes;If appetite is a problem, it is better to introduce smaller portions more often instead of a large plate of food 3 times a day. Offering finger foods is also a good way to encourage people to eat if someone doesn’t want a traditional meal.
- Ensure healthy snack options are availableand make sure food and drinks are easily accessible throughout the day.
- Avoid calorie-free or low-fat productsunless your loved one has specifically been advised to eat them by their GP.
- Always prioritise mealtimes and try to create a mealtime routine. Avoid rushing and coercing someone to eat.Gentle persuasion is better.
- Confront the myth that weight loss is a normal process with ageing as our bodies become less active. Weight loss is not a normal part of the ageing process
If you are feeling under strain and need a helping hand or a bit of respite time, Home Instead Senior Care can help. Our CAREGivers can provide help around the house as well as assistance with meal preparation, shopping and errands.
Find out more about how our CAREGivers can help your loved one to eat well and stay well at home.
0118 909 9108
Home Instead Senior Care Reading