With this long awaited warm weather we have to ensure that we are all staying cool and hydrated, especially our elderly relatives or friends.
We have to make sure that they are taking on enough fluids to keep them from dehydration. Here are a few hints and tips of how to ensure that you and you loved ones don’t become dehydrated.
- Keep a large water bottle handy to encourage you to drink water wherever and whenever.
- Be sure to eat fruits and vegetables, which are a great sources of water, daily not only to stay hydrated, but also to remain healthy.
- Have a glass of water before each meal.
- After each trip to the toilet, drink a glass of water to replenish your fluids.
- Remember to drink every hour to stay as hydrated as possible.
- If you are bored of plain old water try adding a slice of lemon, lime, and/or mint to your water to give it some flavour
To help your house become cooler try these tips below-
- Open windows and close your curtains and this should allow for a breeze to come through your home due to your curtains wafting the draft around. ( Just remember to close your windows before you go out or go to bed)
- Try leaving the curtains closed when you are out this will help block the heat from coming into your house and on a whole help make your house cooler
- Turn your heating off completely as this will save you money and also ensure that the heating doesn’t come on without you noticing adding to the heat in your house.
- Fill a two-litre bottle up with water and then freeze it, once frozen place in front of your fan and it should help decrease the temperate in your house by blowing cooler air around the room.
Home Instead Senior Care