Home Instead actions and community infection control during the Coronavirus pandemic
The Coronavirus pandemic has changed so much for so many in just a few weeks. The changes in society are unprecedented. But one thing remains undiminished, the purpose of our team here at Home Instead Chichester & Bognor Regis. We are so proud to be on the front line, helping keep some of the most vulnerable members of our community safe in their own homes.
Everyone was deeply moved by the Queen's Speech, which galvanised the nation's support for health and social care at this critical time. Let us hope it results in lasting change for both sectors when all this is over.
It has been an incredibly busy few weeks for the team, preparing our CAREGivers, and reassuring our Clients and their families. Lisa and the team have been utterly determined in their focus, providing 24/7 support, helping ensure we have had no clients develop COVID-19, and no one admitted to hospital since the crisis began 4 weeks ago.
None of the team expected to have to deliver care in the midst of an infectious disease pandemic. Many people have kindly asked about the well-being of our team at this time, so here is some more detail on what we've been doing to ensure CAREGivers feel appropriately prepared and supported in their work:
Personal Protective Equipment:
- All staff are issued with Personal Protective Equipment that exceeds the minimum guidelines. In addition, all staff use PPE at every visit
- Our policy and procedure has proven incredibly effective so far in reducing the risk of infection, but everyone is aware and vigilant about the ongoing risks
- We have been running a Facebook Live session for the whole team, 3 times a week, to provide updates, training demonstrations and field Q&A sessions
- We have produced a series of YouTube videos to benefit staff and the wider community
- We are testing CAREGiver knowledge through video chat, 2 way-video training and written scenario tests (minimising group contact)
- In addition, our Care Supervisors continue to support CAREGivers directly where required
- Lisa and the team have been at the end of the telephone, night and day to support and encourage CAREGivers
- Our Employee Assistance Program has a 24/7 free counselling service, as well as a legal, health and wellbeing, and financial advice service
A huge thank you also goes out to our Clients and their families during this incredibly challenging time - you have helped work with us to ensure we keep everyone safe.