People become carers for different reasons; it could be thrust upon them due to the illness of a loved one, or they could do it as a profession at a company such as Home Instead.
Our professional CAREGivers receive training therefore know the in’s and out’s of providing care, however those who are caring for a loved one may have unanswered surrounding how to be the best carer possible to their loved one therefore Home Instead Sheffield have provided some tips on how to do this.
1) Feel good factor: A new haircut or item of clothing can do wonders for your loved one’s confidence and self-worth, so don’t forget to treat them every now and again.
2) Patience: It can often take time to get into a consistent care routine. Keeping calm and patient will allow this to happen whilst also respecting your loved one’s dignity and independence.
3) Accept that they have changed: The person you care for is unlikely to be the person you know them to be. Accepting this change will help you to stay in the here and now and give the best care possible.
4) Take a guilt free break: Allowing yourself some alone time to unwind a few times each month will help you to recognise and provide a much better quality of care.
5) Accept help: In order to properly take care of someone else, you need to also be able to take care of yourself. When people offer to help you, it’s okay to accept it.
Professional care providers such as Home Instead can also provide the respite you need and help support your loved one to remain independent within their own homes.
For more information about the services we can provide, then do not hesitate to call us on 0114 246 9666 or come and see us at our office.
Haywood House, Hydra Business Park, Nether Lane, Ecclesfield, Sheffield, S35 9ZX