This is one of a series of case studies we have developed to help inform potential clients about how we have supported clients and to provide some insight into the range of support we offer.
Eric was a retired major airline employee who had recently been widowed when his daughter asked us to provide support to him. She lives some distance from Eric and is a teacher which presented challenges in supporting him on daily basis.
Eric had recently been diagnosed with Dementia but was very clear that he wanted to remain in the family home he had shared with his wife for many years.
Eric had other health issues including a history of heart disease which often left him tired and unable to complete household task for himself.
His early onset dementia presented issues in relation to his short term memory that made managing medication, following a daily routine and attending routine doctors and hospital appointments problematic.
We introduced a small team to Eric who supported him every morning and lunchtime 7 days a week. The team helped Eric with most aspects of his day to day living needs. This included:
- Prompting him to follow his daily medication regime and liaising with his Doctor and Pharmacist as necessary
- Supporting him to attend routine Doctor and Hospital appointments and providing timely feedback to his daughter
- Preparing freshly cooked meals twice daily to ensure he followed a balanced nutritious diet and maintained safe hydration levels
- Prompting him and assisting him where necessary with his personal care routines
- Managing and restocking all food stuffs
- Managing his home by following a weekly cleaning routine and arranging routine maintenance issues where required
- Enabling him to remain socially active by supporting him to attend regular events including art classes, our memory cafe and tea dances
His daughter, who had been concerned about him remaining living at home without her immediate support available to him, as follows:
"Dad and I are truly grateful for all that you do to give him such quality of life and I am delighted to see him flourish under your care.
Please pass on our thanks to all of Dad's 'angels; they are greatly valued and appreciated.
We are so thankful that we have found such a superb agency".
Eric was supported at home without significant change for more than 2 years.
Unfortunately in late 2016 he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He decided that he did not want to be treated given his other health conditions.
By early 2017 the condition was beginning to have a serious impact on Eric's health and well being.
He decided that he wanted to remain living at home and receive palliative care in familiar and comfortable surroundings.
Home Instead increased the daily visits to 4 per day and worked with the palliative care team to support him until he passed away.
Eric's case study is a clear example of how a committed team can enable someone to remain living at home even in the most difficult of circumstances.
*NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR CONFIDENTIALITY REASONS