Dehydration can cause serious problems such as urinary tract infections, headaches, constipation, dizziness, confusion, kidney stones, and pressure ulcers. Here are some tips to help you stay hydrated and healthy.
- Drink water throughout the day, and other fluids such as milk, flavoured sparkling water, and low-sugar fruit juices. Avoid or limit caffeine, sugary drinks, and alcohol, as they can dehydrate the body.
- Wear breathable material and take frequent breaks to avoid overheating. If you are active or if the weather is hot, you may need to drink more fluids to replace what you lose through sweat.
- Eat healthy foods with high water content, such as fruits, vegetables, soups, and yoghurt. These foods can help you meet your hydration needs and provide other nutrients as well.
- Make drinks look more enticing and fun, such as adding flavour, colour, or ice cubes, or making popsicles. You can also use cups, bottles, and straws that are easy to hold and drink from.
- Check your urine colour to monitor your hydration level. If your urine is dark and strong smelling, you need to drink more fluids. Aim for urine that is pale yellow or clear.
Remember, hydration is important for all age groups and is something for everyone to consider. By following these tips, you can stay hydrated and enjoy a better quality of life.
Home Instead Cheltenham and Cotswolds can help you to live well at home in the place you love for longer.