This recipe takes 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to grill. It makes 2 servings.
Suitable for: Vegetarian, Diabetic.
Allergen information: Egg, milk, mustard, wheat flour (gluten)
- 1 egg
- 75g crème fraiche
- ½ level tsp English mustard powder
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices of thick bread
To make the Welsh Rarebit
- Preheat the grill.
- With a fork, whisk the egg with the crème fraiche and mustard powder. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toast the slices of bread on both sides.
- Spread each slice with the cheese mixture, making sure it is spread right to the edge.
- Place under the grill and grill until melted and bubbling.
- Cut each slice into two or four and serve with a salad or baked beans and a spoonful of pickle or onion chutney on the side.
- Try adding a splash of Worcestershire sauce or dash of tabasco to add some heat - or you could sprinkle it with cayenne pepper or paprika.
Nutrition: per serving
Kcal - 359; Fat - 25.3g; Saturates - 15.8g; Carbs - 19.7g; Sugars - 2g; Fibre - 3.1g; Protein - 14.4g; Salt - 1.04g