This recipe will make 2 servings.
For the steak
- 2 lamb rump steaks – you could use a pork chop or chicken breast here (just adjust the cooking times to suit)
- 30g butter
- I dst spn vegetable oil
- I dst spn dried thyme
- 1 crushed garlic clove (optional)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Juice of ½ lemon (optional)
Mint yoghurt sauce
- ¼ cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small pot full fat plain or Greek yoghurt
- 2 large tbsp fresh mint or half dried
Spring onion and crushed potato
- 200g small new potatoes
- 1 bunch spring onions (or chives) finely sliced
- 30g butter
- 70g full-fat plain or Greek yogurt
For the buttered peas and cabbage
- ½ a large Savoy cabbage or one small
- 150g frozen petit pois peas, defrosted
- 40g butter
- Salt and pepper
To make the lamb
- First mix the oil with the thyme, garlic and salt and rub into the lamb steaks. Make sure thelamb is at room temperature (leave it out of the fridge for half an hour maximum) – whilst the lamb is coming to room temperature, make all the sides and cook the lamb at the end.
- Whilst you’re making the sides heat the oven to 180°c. Once the sides have been made, put the rump steaks in a baking dish and cook for 15 minutes, or done to your liking.
- Alternatively, you can take a frying pan and add a drop of oil, heat to a medium to high heat and fry the steaks on each side for 2 minutes, turn the heat down to medium only, then add the butter basting and turn for four minutes.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon.
To make the potato
- Bring the potatoes to boil in plenty of water, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes approx. Or until cooked.
- Drain well and put back into the saucepan.
- Crush with a fork and add the butter, Greek yoghurt and spring onions. Mix well and season well. Keep warm.
To make the mint and cucumber yoghurt
- First put the cucumber into a colander over a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave for the water to come out, for about 20
minutes. Allow to drain.
- In a medium bowl add the yoghurt and all the other ingredients, mix.
To make the peas and cabbage
- Cut the cabbage into slices, put into a saucepan of boiling water, cook for 4 minutes. Drain well.
- In the same saucepan add the butter add the peas and cook for a few seconds, now add the cabbage.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well.
Feel free to make just one of the sides if you are short for time.