This recipe will make 2 servings.
For the cod goujons
- 2 100g cod fillets – you could use mackerel or salmon to up the Omega 3
- ½ tsp ground tandoori spice or curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin (optional)
- ¼ tsp minced fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 75g flour
- 2 eggs
- 100g white breadcrumbs, dried polenta or semolina
- 75ml milk
- ½ lemon zest
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the sweet potato wedges
- 1 large sweet potato (you could use normal white potato if you prefer)
- 1 ½ tsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- ½ tsp of dried thyme
For the coleslaw
- 200g white cabbage, finely sliced
- Half a red onion, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- ½ Granny Smith apple with skin on, finely diced or very coarsely grated
- 25g sultanas
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 75g full-fat mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tblsp fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper
To make the coleslaw
- Remove the root and finely slice the cabbage (this can be done in a food processor if you have one, or just with a knife if not), put into a large mixing bowl.
- Now finely slice the red onion. Add to the cabbage.
- Mix in the grated carrot, diced apple, parsley, sultanas, coriander, and finely chopped garlic (if you’re using it).
- Now put the mayonnaise into a small bowl and add the lemon juice, mix well.
- Mix all the ingredients together and season well, cover until needed.
To make the sweet potato wedges
- Preheat the oven to 190°c (fan) and put a roasting tray in whilst it is coming up to heat.
- Cut the sweet or white potatoes into wedges.
- Once the oven has heated up, remove the empty tray from the oven, add the oil and wedges, turn the wedges to cover in oil, then season with sea salt.
- Put back into the oven for 25 minutes or until nicely golden.
- Remove and drain well. Season a little more if needed – but be careful of how much salt you’re adding.
To make the cod goujons
- First cut each cod fillet into 2 or 3 pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the ground tandoori spice/curry powder and ginger (if using) with the yogurt and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Now add the cod pieces to the yogurt mixture.
- In 1 bowl add the flour, in another bowl, the egg and milk, in a third bowl add, the bread crumbs.
- Take each piece of cod, dust with flour then put into the egg mixture and finally the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all pieces are coated.
- Cook the fish in the oven with the potatoes. Once the wedges have been in for 15 minutes, drop to 180 degrees and add the fish. Cook for 15 minutes.