Funding private home care for the elderly

Some care options can be perceived as expensive, but it doesn’t mean they all are. When it comes to planning the right care for you, it is worth considering the funding routes and benefits that may be available to help you if you need home help or personal care. For example, care may be funded in full or part by your local authority depending on individual circumstances. It is therefore important and worth exploring the funding options available before making a final decision. 

Local authority support for home care

If you need support with day-to-day tasks, your local authority might be able to help with the costs of care in 2 ways; 1) with council funding dependent on your financial situation or, 2) By qualifying for NHS Continuing Healthcare. 

As a first step, it is a good idea to request a needs assessment before arranging care. This will help you decide on the level of care needed and if care at home is suitable for you. Find out more about the difference between home care and residential care.

If the assessment identifies that you need help, you will then have a financial assessment (means test) to see if the council will pay towards it. Your ability to pay will be determined by your income, expenditure and savings and your individual support needs – not the value of your home.

If you do qualify for funded care, one of the options available to you is to receive direct payments for the cost of the funded element from the council and organise your care yourself. This gives you the independence and control to choose your own care through a provider such as Home Instead Senior Care.

Alternative home care financial support

You may also be entitled to other benefits such as:

  • Attendance allowance – if you are over 65 and need extra help to stay independent at home due to an illness or disability.
  • Personal Independence Payment – if you are aged 16-64 and need help with daily activities or getting around because of a long-term illness or disability.

Find out more about the benefits you can claim to support your care through the Money Advice Service.

Expert home care advice

For further advice, you can contact: