People in Telford, Newport and Bridgnorth become carers for many reasons. Anyone that cares for somebody, be that a family member, neighbour, friend or as a paid CAREGiver is likely to have many unanswered questions regarding both the care they are giving to their loved one and the care they owe themselves.
At Home Instead senior care Telford, Newport and Bridgnorth, we have put together some top tips to help you become the best carer you can be. Remember, it is very important that you have someone to turn to when the going gets tough.
1) Help them feel good: A new haircut or item of clothing can do wonders for your loved one’s confidence and self-worth, this is even more important for those seniors with Alzheimer’s so don’t forget to treat them as you would expect to treated yourself.
2) Be patient: It can often take time to get into a consistent care routine. Keeping calm and patient will allow this to happen and support your loved one to remain independent, whilst also respecting their dignity and independence.
3) Accept that they have changed: The person you care for is unlikely to be the person you once knew them to be. Accepting this change will help you to stay in the here and now and give the best care possible.
4) Take a guilt free break: Allowing yourself some alone time to unwind a few times each month will help you to recognise and provide a much better quality of care.
5) Accept help: In order to properly take care of someone else, you need to also be able to take care of yourself. When people offer to help you, it’s okay to accept it.
I welcome any suggestions for future topics from you all. All you have to do is write to me at email@example.com or by post to Jason Warren Home Instead Senior Care Telford, Newport and Bridgnorth 10 Court Street, Madeley, Telford TF7 5EB.