Home Instead Deliver Scam Awareness Talk to Quorn WI
Charlotte Johnson of Home Instead Charnwood attended Quorn WI event delivered by Gail D-B of Home Instead Market Harborough to support the on going concern that our elderly community are being targeted by criminals.
The scam awareness talk was very well received by nearly 60 local women of the Quorn WI – many sharing their own stories and experiences of scams that they have been made aware of.
In light of July being scam awareness month – Home Instead Charnwood recommend using the following process when assessing anything that may appear suspect:
1) Consider having a second set of eyes look over post and e-mails if you are unsure of the legitimacy of anything you receive.
2) Never divulge personal information or bank details in a call or e-mail which you did not expect or initiate – genuine callers, including your bank, will never ask for sensitive information over the phone or via e-mail.
3) Never send cash or money transfers to a stranger, even if it is to claim a ‘free prize’. Remember, if it’s too good to be true, it usually is!
4) Don’t be afraid to stop a caller if they are trying to sell something that is not wanted. Use phrases like “I never buy anything over the phone” or simply “I’m sorry, I’m going to have to hang up.”
5) A secure web address where you’re asked to enter personal information should always start: https://. Websites which start http:// (without the ‘s’) are not secure.