Caring for a loved one with dementia can be a difficult and upsetting time for everyone involved, however this doesn’t mean that the special moments with your family member have to stop. Even the small things in life can create happy memories for you and your loved one so enjoy each day you have together and create those special times.
Here is a heart-warming example of what a daughter does for her mother who is suffering from dementia:
Things I do with my fabulous Mum are:
- Go shopping, just for her
- Take her to a play, example: Les Miserables (she loved it)
- Would like to take her to see Il Divo, she loves their music
- Make a beautiful meal for just the 2 of us, and purchase fake red wine, candles, etc.
- I also bought her an iPod, and put all her old favourites on it, and a couple of books
- This winter we're going to go to the local swimming pool to take a water exercise class
- Go to the market and bring home all the fresh vegetables, and eat them together
- She also likes to get her fingernails and toenails manicured so we do this every 2 weeks.
- She loves getting her hair done, and will not let it go Grey, so we take her to have this done once every 4/5 weeks
- We went to the café yesterday and had a Knickerbocker glory (Mums favourite)
- I bought her a special clock that just has the day and date, in big letters
As you can see I'll do anything for her, even rub her feet, she loves that. I even answer all her questions, over and over again, without making her feel that she just asked it a second ago.
Today I gave her a facial, and I always make sure she has makeup on and looks well dressed.
These are all small things that she does to make her Mother happy, which in turn, makes her happy. Little gestures here and there can go a long way to making your loved ones day and creating memories to cherish even through this difficult time.