Senior Snippets: Be a good neighbour this Christmas
We all know that December can be a hectic time, full of festive Christmas and New Year fun, but it can be a lonely time for many people, especially the elderly.
Bryn Evans, owner of local Sheffield-based at home care company, Home Instead Senior Care is urging local people to be a good neighbour and watch out for elderly residents.
Commenting, they said, “Just think what a difference we could make if each of us stopped and took time to check on the wellbeing of an elderly neighbour.”
The team at Home Instead have put their heads together and come up with a list of ‘good neighbour’ ideas; which one will you try?:
- Catch up over a cuppa Instead of simply popping a Christmas card through the door, why not drop by with a card and box of biscuits?
- Young at heart Older people are still very young at heart. If you have children, why not suggest they pop round to an elderly neighbour’s with you for a game of Monopoly or Cluedo?
- Casserole club A great idea and so easy to do! Next time you are preparing a casserole, add some extra ingredients to stretch the dish and take a portion round to a neighbour. It’s a gesture that they will really appreciate and ensure they get a wholesome, nutritious meal.
- Lay an extra place at the table On a similar theme, why not invite a neighbour round to share a meal with you and your family?
- Shopping can be fun Christmas shopping can be stressful at the best of times so imagine how worrying it might be for an elderly person. Why not suggest that you take a neighbour shopping? It could be as simple as a lift in to town or helping them to find and buy presents.
- Deck the halls Could you help a neighbour put up their tree or some decorations? Why not offer your services? You could help to get the decorations out of the loft and make their house look festive and bright.
And, of course, whilst you are with your neighbour you can make sure the house is warm enough and that they have plenty of food in stock.
I’d love to hear from you! To make a suggestion for a future topic, please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Home Instead Senior Care Barnsley, 4 Huddersfield Road, Barnsley, S70 2LT. Alternatively, you can also call me on 0114 246 9666