This recipe takes 15 minutes to prepare and 35-40 minutes to cook. It makes 4 pasties.
Suitable for: Diabetic.
Allergen information: Milk, wheat flour (gluten), egg.
Cooking information: 200°C, 180°C fan, Gas 6
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 150g button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp oil
- 150g ham, chopped into small pieces
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated or cut into small pieces
- 500g block puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
To make the Ham, Cheese And Mushroom Pasties
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pan over low heat and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes until it forms a paste. Slowly add the milk, stirring continuously to make a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Cool the sauce in a bowl.
- Fry the mushrooms in the oil for 3-5 mins until golden, then leave to cool.
- Place the ham, cheese and mushrooms into a bowl, then gradually stir in the white sauce until everything is well coated.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to about the thickness of a £1 coin and cut out 4 saucer-size rounds (about 18cm wide), re-rolling the trimmings if you need to.
- Brush the edges of each round with beaten egg. Spoon the mixture onto one side of each round, then fold over and seal the edges well.
- Brush the pasty with the remaining egg, then chill for 30 minutes.
- Place the pasties on a baking sheet and bake until puffed up and golden. Leave to cool slightly and enjoy warm.
- If using fresh puff pastry, the pasties can be made up to stage 5 and then frozen for up to 1 month. Any kind of cheese is suitable for this recipe – why not try a blue cheese for a change, or why not use the filling as a delicious topping for baked potatoes?
- With the rolling and shaping of the pastry, this recipe is great to work on together – have a go at crimping the edges of the pasties in different designs or adding pastry decorations
Nutrition: per serving
Kcal - 723; Fat - 50.3g; Saturates - 24.2g; Carbs - 48.6g; Sugars - 5.3g; Fibre - 4.0g; Protein - 21.9g; Salt - 2.3g